[tn-dragonflies] migrants, etc.

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 19:36:27 -0400 (EDT)

10/21/2013 Dickson County

I checked out a few spots at Montgomery Bell SP Monday afternoon. In a
grassy area behind one of the dams there I noticed a few Common Green  Darners
feeding over the field. As I walked thru the waist-high grass more rose  up
from roosting/resting sites. The air warmed while I was there and eventually
 quite a few were in the air flying and feeding. I could see maybe a dozen
as I looked from one end of the dam to the other. A couple of Wandering
Gliders and Black Saddlebags were in the mix also, but mostly Green  Darners.
This was not a huge flight like one might see along the coast or  further
south, but obviously they're migrants.
One Com. Green Darner photo attached, not great photo, but shows  purple
color replacing blue on abdomen as reaction to cooler  temps.

A few other odes were still about:

Dusky Dancer 2
Orange Bluet 8
Vesper Bluet 2 (only ones I've seen this year)
Com. Green Darner 12+
Wandering Glider 2
Black Saddlebags 2
Autumn Meadowhawk 1