[tn-dragonflies] Warriors Path SP Dragonfly Day report

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 17:49:16 -0400 (EDT)

June 15, 2013 Kingsport, Sullivan Co. TN

The 4th annual Dragonfly Day at Warriors Path State Park was last
Saturday, hosted by Park Naturalist Marty Silver.  TDEC aquatic biologist
Larry
Evrett was there to show us dragonfly and damselfly larvae, and I  helped with
instruction on photographing odes. We had aprox. 25  participants, some new
and several returning to this all-day, fun event.   Thankfully the weather
was good this year and several park sites with varying  habitats were visited.

Some highlights:
At the lake-side Black-shouldered Spinyleg and Prince Baskettail  were
seen, Stream Bluets were photographed, Familiar and Double-striped  Bluets were
present.
In the meadow Widow Skimmers were common and much photographed; an  Ashy
Clubtail was captured for close inspection, photographed and released; at  the
spring pond Fragile Forktail, Variable Dancer, Blue Dasher, and Slaty
Skimmer were present. Our main target species, Cherokee Clubtail was not seen
flying, as an adult, but Larry found a couple of their larvae in the  creek.
Many Ebony Jewelwings entertained us along the creek, and  there Larry
found nymphs of Dragonhunter, Fawn Darner and Ebony Jewelwing,  etc.
At the swamp and marsh we added Swamp Darner and Great Blue Skimmer.

It was a good day in the field! And thanks again to Mary Silver.

Richard Connors
Nashville