[tn-dragonflies] Re: Blue-faced Meadowhaws

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 10:56:37 -0400 (EDT)

I thought this went out earlier, but it got sent to "drafts". sorry for the
 delay!

Rick,

I don't think Blue-faced Meadowhawks are migratory,  more just seasonal,
and can show up in numbers in the right habitat. They seem  to like temporary,
seasonal wet spots, like a wet meadow or ditch, or small  semi-permanent
ponds. Hard to "target" them by habitat. Even harder to guess  where a
Variegated would show up, but this is the more likely time of year, so  keep
looking.

Richard

In a message dated 10/4/2013 7:15:44 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I was at Phipp's Bend in Hawkins County for a while late yesterday
afternoon. There wasn't much dragonfly activity. Only saw three species. One
Common Whitetail, one Eastern Pondhawk female, but many Blue-faced
Meadowhawks.
Mostly concentrated in one area where I had not had a single  individual
through all my visits there this summer. Is this species migratory?  Was hoping
to find a Variegated Meadowhawk, but no luck.

Rick

--
Rick Phillips
Kingsport,  Tennessee