[TN-Butterflies] Re: tn-butterflies Digest V2 #61

  • From: "owlshill" <owlshill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 08:55:50 -0500

I strongly recommend the digest form. The summary of subject lines at the beginning lets you know if there is something you should see right away; otherwise, you can save just one e-mail to peruse at your leisure, instead of sorting through a crowded mailbox.

Owl's Hill was part of a bird list serve for a while and had to drop off because people kept getting into arguments and long, long back and forth discussions about things the rest of us weren't interested in. I commend the butterfly list serve for avoiding that!

Nancy Garden
Director of Education
Owl's Hill Nature Sanctuary
----- Original Message ----- From: <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 05:26:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>

We've had a run of people unsubscribing from the TN-Butterflies list in the past week or so. I'm sure some people may have subscribed out of curiosity but found that Butterflying wasn't their thing but some may be leaving due to the volume of emails generated by the list when the weather warms up.

Anyone that is interested in Butterflies but doesn't like receiving the extra email should consider receiving the posts in the digest format. You'll only get one email per day that contains all of the day's posts. Another suggestion is to setup a free email account with Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail etc. and use that account only for the TN-Butterflies listserv.

It looks like we dodged the freeze bullet here in West TN. I hope the rest of you did as well.

Ken Childs
Henderson, TN
Chester County

http://www.finishflagfarms.com

------------------------------

From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 08:54:43 -0500

Also, once a person has subscribed, the subscriber can then go in anytime
and change the designation to Vacation Mode and leave it that way. The
subscriber can still post, but won't get any emails. To do this go to,
//www.freelists.org/list/tn-butterflies and in Choose an Action, change to Turn Vacation mode on (this is where you can also change to Digest, etc).
When you want to access posts, go to
//www.freelists.org/archive/tn-butterflies/, which is the Mailing List Archives for tn-butterflies, and click on the month you want. I have had the birding freelist that way for years. Now, please don't refrain from posting
sightings, discussions, and your digitals.

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN

[...]

The FAQ can be found by logging in at
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi/l=tn-butterflies

Please report any abuse or questions about this list to: kjchilds@xxxxxxxxxx

Users can unsubscribe from this list by sending email to
tn-butterflies-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe'
in the Subject field.

------------------------------

Subject: [TN-Butterflies] correction: Tennessee River Gorge spring seasonal but
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 14:53:23 -0400
From: "Bill Haley" <wgh@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hello all;

When I listed all the counters in our Tennessee River Gorge spring count
last Saturday, I inadvertently left Harold Birch off the list. This
means we had nine counters in the field that day. Harold is a good
friend, so I wanted to let everyone know he was out counting too! If
you've never helped with a butterfly count, find one nearby, (or maybe
not so nearby) and join in. The North American Butterfly Association
encourages participation by all interested parties.

Bill Haley

Chattanooga, TN

Hamilton County

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 14:44:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Audrey Hoff <ahofftn@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] Re: little orange moth

David Trently and I also had this little moth on Sunday at Seven Islands WR, Knox Co. Just shows what is out there when there are lots of eyes looking.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8343980@N06/3424311765/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8343980@N06/3424309893/in/photostream/

Audrey Hoff
Knoxville, TN

Audrey Hoff
I think that I think, therefore I am.......maybe.......

________________________________
From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx <Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] little orange moth
To: tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, April 7, 2009, 11:48 AM

From Sunday 4/5/09 at Narrows of the Harpeth, Harpeth
River State Park

Cheatham Co. TN

Snowberry Clearwing, Grapevine Epimenis (on Bladderpod
blossoms), and one
little orange moth. I have seen these before and never
satisfactorily identified
them. Best match from Covell, Moths of Eastern North
America,
is Orange Wing (Mellilla xanthometata). It looks right
but not listed at
right size - this was small, less than the size of Least
Skipper. I'd say not
more than 15mm. Orange Wing listed at 16 - 21 mm. Anyway,
if anyone has
experience with this one I'd appreciate a look and
opinion.

least moth photo:
http://www.pbase.com/rconnorsnaturephoto/image/111011107

Also see photo of zebra swallowtails showing color and
pattern differences.
Not sure if its a male/female thing or just general
variability of this
species.

mating zebras photo:
http://www.pbase.com/rconnorsnaturephoto/image/111011209

Thanks in advance,

Richard Connors
Nashville

A Good Credit
Score is 700 or Above.
See yours in just 2 easy steps!

Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 15:32:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] FOY for Chester County

I saw my first 3 Monarchs of the year today, 4/8/09.

The dragonfly population exploded today. Without really trying I counted more than 100 in a 20 minute walk around the property.

Ken Childs
Henderson, TN
Chester County

http://www.finishflagfarms.com