[TN-Butterflies] gap in the range of diana fritillary--not where I thought it was

  • From: Stephen Stedman <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 11:15:08 -0500

After I sent my message last night about filling in the gap in the range
of Diana Fritillary along the Cumberland Plateau in TN, John Froeschauer
drew my attention to the fact that he had sent me a record of Diana
Fritillary from Pickett State Park in Pickett County for June 2008. He
recollected that the photo of the male Diana in Pickett State Park
included his booted foot, next to which the butterfly was posed, and
this image definitely stuck with me, so I knew there was a problem in
the BAMONA database. After hunting through my archived butterfly email
messages this morning, I found his original message which indeed
involved a Diana Frit in Pickett State Park.  Somehow, in processing the
record, I changed the park to Standing Stone State Park and the County
to Overton County; I have no idea how this happened.  Anyway, for the
past year, it has looked like the range of Diana in TN included Overton
but not Pickett, when in fact the reverse was true.  I have apologized
to John for this error, and I have sent off a request to Kelly Lotts at
BAMONA, asking for this error to be corrected, which should happen
fairly soon.

This episode offers a good reason why each person who submits records to
me for BAMONA ought to double check the actual website after the records
are posted to be sure that the website reflects the correct data.  I
have processed about 2500 records over the past 2.75 years, so there may
be a few more errors lurking out there, though I hope not too many.

Now, I have to find time to get up to Standing Stone and Overton County
for a Diana!

Good butterflying, Steve Stedman

Cookeville (Putnam County)