[TN-Butterflies] Re: foy reports and the three grand divisions of tn

  • From: Allan Trently <ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdsongteam@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Tennessee Butterflies <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 15:52:54 -0400

I figure it can get quit overwhelming to document all the FOY reports by
county.

My reports from west TN are typically from only two counties Hardin and Decatur
and both of those reports were only from two days.  I hope to include other
counties as the weather gets better for butterflies (I saw no butterflies all
morning in Lewis Co. yesterday probably because of the cold).

East, Central and west TN reports don't take into account elevational
differences.  It might still be a good idea to include additional county
reports for counties in the Blue Ridge Mountains.  I surmise that first
occurances of butterflies above 5000 feet would be later than at elevations
below.

Allan Trently ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx

From: birdsongteam@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx; tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] foy reports and the three grand divisions of tn
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 17:07:13 -0600

to: Allan Trently and anyone else interested in this kind of presentation for
FOY reports:

I like Allan's idea (see below), and I would be willing to use it in future
years, if there are sufficient data from each of the state's divisions to
warrant it, so the data this year can be used to judge whether presenting FOY
reports by region next year is worthwhile.

I would like to see at least a half dozen counties in each division being
sampled on a regular basis before changing the way that I present FOY reports.
Right now, West TN is mainly represented by FOY reports from Chester County by
Ken Childs.  A few reports have come in from Allan, Bart Jones, and Betty
Stephens, but that's been about it so far, and it would need to change before I
would feel comfortable with a Regional presentation of the FOY data.  So, make
it happen.

As a bow in Allan's direction, I have provided another table at the page of my
website that provides information about how to validate county records for
BAMONA.  This table gives the total species for each county by Region of the
state.  Have a look if you have some time.

Good butterfly counting, Steve Stedman
Cookeville, Putnam County

Link to page of my website for validating county records for BAMONA:

http://iweb.tntech.edu/sstedman/ButterflyDocumentationTN.htm

Link to page of my website with 2009 FOY records:

http://iweb.tntech.edu/sstedman/ButterflySightingsTN2009.htm