[TN-Butterflies] Re: duskywing id request

  • From: Allan Trently <ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Don Holt <dnldhlt@xxxxxxx>, Tennessee Butterflies <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 13:16:42 -0400

Since I just identified and photographed a mottled I thought I should give my
opinion.

The hindwings don't have the dark brown chain-like blotches that I saw on my
mottled and the basal area of the forewing seems darker than the outer area of
the forewing.  I would have to say it is a Horace's.  I look forward to reading
others' opinions.

Allan Trently ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx
Jackson, Madison County, TN

To: tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] duskywing id request
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 21:55:59 -0400
From: dnldhlt@xxxxxxx

This is from June 2, 2009, on Greene Mtn Rd in Greene Co TN.  I downloaded this
photo much later in the year, was undecided about its id, and put it on the
back burner.  In May of that year I had seen what I decided was a Mottled
Duskywing from about the same location and reported it as such.  My brain wants
to call this specimen from June 09 a Mottled Duskywing also.  Any thoughts?

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN