[TN-Butterflies] diana fritillary in pickett county; june records for bamona posted

  • From: "Steve Stedman" <birdsongteam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 20:19:48 -0500

The map of the range of Diana Fritillary in Tennessee, as reflected at the
BAMONA website, has shown a small gap in Pickett County for a while now.
Nearly all the other counties along the Cumberland Plateau have
photo-documented records of that fine 'fly, but not Pickett.  Today I decided
to try to change that, making a quick trip up through Clarkrange, Grimsley,
Jamestown, and Sharp Place to Pickett County and Pickett State Park.

A little poking around in the park led to a site that had some blooming common
milkweek on which three male Dianas were regaling themselves with nectar and
offering great photo opportunities.

While in the county I also managed to obtain an identifiable photo of Common
Wood-Nymph, another species not heretofore documented at BAMONA for Pickett
County.

On arrival home, I checked the BAMONA website and found that the batch of new
county records that I sent in July 2 was posted yesterday, so if you sent me
any June records, please check to make sure that they were included.  Any July
records will not yet be reflected at the BAMONA website.

Good butterflying, Steve Stedman
Cookeville (Putnam County)