[TN-Butterflies] county list totals as of 2011 at bamona

  • From: "Stephen Stedman" <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 11:22:32 -0600

Greetings for the new year to all,

I've updated the page of my website that provides the total number of
species of butterflies documented at the BAMONA website for each of
Tennessee's 95 counties as of 31 December 2011.  You may access this
page via this link:

http://iweb.tntech.edu/sstedman/ButterflyDocumentationTN.htm

During 2011, 304 county record butterfly photos were submitted to
BAMONA; these additional county records brought to 4918 the total number
of county record butterfly records at BAMONA for Tennessee.  The average
number of butterfly species per county rose from 48.57 to 51.77 during
2011, a smaller increase than had taken place during the previous four
years, but still a nice increase.

Natural history projects of any magnitude tend to follow predictable
timelines.  During the first few years of the project, there is a lot of
enthusiasm and much is accomplished by many participants.  About 4 to 5
years into such projects, enthusiasm wanes, participation goes down, and
the rate of progress toward the goal of the project resultantly also
decreases.  This may be what is happening to the effort to map the
distribution of the butterflies of Tennessee at the BAMONA website.

To all those who shared their butterfly photos during the past few
years, especially last year, many thanks are due, small reward for your
efforts, I know, but all that I can offer.

Hope you will continue, resume, or start sharing butterfly photos with
the BAMONA website during 2012,

Steve Stedman

Cookeville (Putnam County)