[TN-Butterflies] bedford county foy and bamona records (14 jul 10)

  • From: "Steve Stedman" <birdsongteam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:01:03 -0500

I made a quick trip to Bedford County, mainly to find and photograph an Eastern
Tailed-Blue, and found and photographed the following yesterday, most or all
being BAMONA and most or all FOY, as far as I know right now:

Silver-spotted Skipper
Peck's Skipper
Tawny-edged Skipper
Black Swallowtail
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
Checkered White
Clouded Sulphur
American Copper
Gray Hairstreak
Eastern Tailed-Blue (yay!)
American Snout
Variegated Fritillary
Silvery Checkerspot
Hackberry Emperor

These 14 new county records bring the butterfly list for Bedford County up to
29.  It may be that some of these were found and photographed during the June
Butterfly Foray, but I do not yet have any of those results, if so.

I also visited David Crockett State Park in Lawrence County yesterday, to spend
some time butterflying with Richard Connors and to look for an Eastern
Tailed-Blue in that county.  When I arrived, Richard said he had found and
photographed a tailed-blue earlier, relieving me of that duty.  We had a few
more county record 'flies; mine were

Silver-spotted Skipper
Sleepy Orange
American Snout
Silvery Checkerspot

Richard had the tailed-blue and probably a few other county records 'flies as
well.

It was a long day, but the main mission, to find and photograph those
tailed-blues, was accomplished.  Robertson County is now the only county
without a documented tailed-blue record, and Richard thinks he can take care of
that later in the month.

Steve Stedman
Cookeville (Putnam County)

Note on a little BAMONA minutia: Robertson County is now the first Tennessee
county to have the opportunity to have what might be labeled the "last first,"
that is, it is the first Tennessee county that is the only county not to have a
record of a particular butterfly species, in this case the Eastern Tailed-Blue.
 When the first documented evidence for Eastern Tailed-Blue is provided in
Robertson County, we hope by Richard this month, it will become the last time
that Eastern Tailed-Blue can have a first county record in Tennessee; thus it
is the last first county record for tailed-blue. Furthermore, since this
situation has never happened before for any Tennessee butterfly, it is the very
first "last first," something that can never happen again (i.e., when the next
species gets down to just one more county to go, it will become the second last
first, etc.).  Who thinks of these things? I've got to get a life!