[TN-Butterflies] anniversary sulphur trifecta--not so fast, buddy!

  • From: "Steve Stedman" <birdsongteam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 18:36:19 -0500

Well, in determining the latlong coordinates for the sulphurs that Barb and I
found this morning, I am sad to say that I discovered that Horseshoe Bend Rd.,
which begins in Morgan County, ends in Scott County, where there are current
BAMONA records for Clouded and Little sulphurs, so our sulphur trifecta must be
reduced to a sulphur unifecta, which is still a nice way to remember
anniversary number 34, but not quite what I had thought at first.

Scott County is slightly to the east of Morgan County, so this record of Dainty
Sulphur is about tied with the record from Polk County for the easternmost
record in TN, though technically it came from extreme western Scott County and
so is probably still not quite as far east as the record from Polk (depending
on where that record actually took place--but I am not hyped up on this matter
enough to really be concerned as to which record is the current easternmost
record for the state; I am just glad that we have two records for the state
that show this species to be well east of the eastermost records ascribed to it
prior to this year).

Now I have to go into my photo archive and change a bunch of labels for photos;
blah.

Steve Stedman
Cookeville (Putnam County)