[TN-Butterflies] addition to bibliography of tn lepidoptera; compendium of butterfly foy data for 2010; etc.

  • From: Stephen Stedman <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, TN-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 09:16:55 -0600

I was able to add another entry to the Bibliography of Tennessee
Lepidoptera that I started last week; this entry deals with butterflies
of Davidson County.  The quality of this PDF is better than the quality
of the last PDF, which I will try to replace with one of better quality
sometime in the future. For now, I think it is readable so will keep it.

Ken Childs reported the first 'fly of the 2010 season yesterday, causing
me to make a request now that I had intended to make in another month or
so-namely, that the time it takes me to compile and maintain the FOY
page for butterflies being rather significant (at a time of my life when
I don't have enough time), I would like to relinquish this task and put
it in the hands of someone else.  So if there is anyone out there who
would be willing to search through messages in TN-Butterflies for FOY
data and compile it for the state's lepfolk, please say so soon.

I remain willing to post the FOY data to my website, if that is
desirable and if I get the data in good enough shape that I do not have
to edit much.  All that is needed is an Excel spreadsheet with the
relevant data presented in somewhat the same format that FOY data were
presented for 2008 and 2009.  BTW, an FOY page for moths would be good
to have if someone wants to compile that this year.

Think these matters over and respond soon.

Good lep counting, Steve Stedman

Note: I have the following Excel spreadsheet that I can send to anyone
wanting it.  It lists all TN butterfly species and has columns for all
365/366 dates of the year.  One fills in the spreadsheet by putting
either an X (= present) or a number in the proper date columns for each
species.  The resulting data will give the rough flight period of
butterfly species in your area for a year.  Obviously, if you can fill
out such a spreadsheet for 10 years and combine them, the resulting data
become less rough/more indicative of the flight period of each species.
Sjs