[TN-Butterflies] Yehl Skipper (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-butterflies <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 23:08:25 -0400 (EDT)

September 2, 2012
Greene County

I found a female Yehl Skipper this morning along lower Holly Creek in Tusculum.
The site is a pasture beside a wooded, somewhat swampy riparian zone frequented
by otter, beaver, and muskrat. Rivercane was present less than ten feet from
where I found the skipper, which I was fortunate enough to observe with
binoculars at point-blank range for about a minute.

Yehl Skipper is on the BAMONA list for Greene County. However, this is the
first one I have seen here in over ten years of record-keeping. I have
encountered the species before, although not often, in the Francis Marion
National Forest in Berkeley Co., SC.

Don Miller
Greeneville, Greene Co., TN