[TN-Butterflies] Swallowtail question and observations

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 06:15:23 -0700 (PDT)

There have been a lot fewer Eastern Tiger Swallowtails here this spring and I'm
wondering if people in other parts of the state are seeing the same thing. In
past years it wasn't unusual to see 20+ at a time feeding on my lilacs. This
year I don't think I saw more than 6 or 7 at once and usually it was only 3 or
less. The same goes for mud sucking males. 10+ was normal last year when
conditions were right but I've only seen 1 male total this year feeding on mud.

Many of the female Black Swallowtails I see here have more blue on the tops of
their hindwings than anything I can find in the field guides or online. Is this
a West TN phenomenon or are they like that all over the state?

Ken Childs
Henderson, TN
Chester County

http://www.finishflagfarms.com

The FAQ can be found by logging in at
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi/l=tn-butterflies

Please report any abuse or questions about this list to:
kjchilds@xxxxxxxxxx

Users can unsubscribe from this list by sending email to
tn-butterflies-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe'
in the Subject field.