[TN-Butterflies] Re: Some unknowns from today, (6 photos)

  • From: Harold Howell <howellh2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <humble1@xxxxxxxxxx>, TN Butterflies <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 13:27:32 -0400

Hi Carol,

I am NOT an expert by any means, but I will give you my impressions.  The
only one to which I have seen an answer is the Silvery Checkerspot, and I
admit that I would have gotten that one wrong.  I thought you had a female
Pearl Crescent, but I learned a lot from the answers you received.

On the others, in order:

1. Tawny-edged Skipper - Drab olive -brown hindwing, bright forewing costal
margin.

2.  Sachem  - Hindwing spots in a chevron pattern, faint brown spot at
center of hindwing trailing margin.

3.  Silver-spotted Skipper - Large white/silvered spot in the middle of the
hindwing.

4.  See discussion above.

5.  Hackberry Emperor - Black eye spot and numerous white spots on forewing.

6.  Spicebush Swallowtail, female - Single row of white spots along forewing
margin.

I would be pleased to hear from others on these identifications.

Best regards,

Harold Howell
Loafer's Roost
Grainger County (Near Cherokee Dam)
TN

On 7/17/09 7:45 PM, "Carol Wolf" <humble1@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I went out for a while this afternoon looking for a Diana Fritillary.
> Didn't find one, found these instead.  I wish someone would look at
> the Crescent.  It just doesn't look quite like the Pearl Crescents I
> photographed last year. Maybe it is.
>
> Thanks again for your comments.
>
> Carol Wolf
> Woodbury
> Cannon County

The FAQ can be found by logging in at
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi/l=tn-butterflies

Please report any abuse or questions about this list to:
kjchilds@xxxxxxxxxx

Users can unsubscribe from this list by sending email to
tn-butterflies-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe'
in the Subject field.