[TN-Butterflies] Re: Skipper ID?

  • From: "Doug Bruce" <s137@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN Butterflies" <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 07:24:55 -0500

Thanks to all who responded.  There were several personal email responses, so
I'll summarize them for the group.

All of the respondents argued for Clouded Skipper or Little Glassywing, or both.

The Little Glassywing proponents pointed to the white patch below the antennal
club, citing Glassberg's description.

The Clouded Skipper proponents based their identification mainly on the size
and shape of the size and shape of the FW cell spot; most felt that my photo
showed it being smaller and more rounded than the typical large
square/rectangular cell spot of the Little Glassywing.  The flight period was
mentioned, too; the peak of the fall Clouded Skipper flight is later than that
of the Little Glassywing.  Also, it appears that the edge of the "dusted" area
is barely discernable on the underside of the FW, near the apex.  Finally,
overall shape was mentioned.

Regarding the white patch on the below the antennal club, I see that
Glassberg's entry on the Little Glassywing (in BTB) lists only the Dun Skipper
and Northern Broken-dash as similar species, at least explicitly.  I wonder if
the antenna characteristic was intended only as a means of distinguishing among
these three.  Further, I see that one of Glassberg's photos of the Clouded
Skipper (Plate 64, lower right corner) appears to show a white sub-club patch.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Doug Bruce
Oak Ridge, TN
Anderson Co.