[TN-Butterflies] Silvery Checkerspot Caterpillars

  • From: "Tommie Rogers" <Bananaquit1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 21:13:31 -0400

In my yard today I saw about 16 black caterpillars which appear to be Silvery
Checkerspots.  They have almost eaten all leaves of the purple coneflower.  I
searched for other host plants.  Black-eyed Susan is one.  I have plenty of
that a few yards away from the caterpillars.  Do you think I should try to move
the caterpillars since they will probably be out of leaves by morning?
I have never seen Silvery checkerspot in my yard so this is a surprise to me to
find the caterpillars.
Tommie Rogers