[TN-Butterflies] Questions and some observations from today

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 18:24:43 -0700 (PDT)

We've got some cold temps predicted for Monday and Tuesday night and I'm
wondering what that might do to the butterflies that are out right now. In my
area, Monday night is forecast with a low of 26 and Tuesday night is 29. The
spring freeze we had in 2007 really screwed things up but I think it lasted 4
or 5 days. My flowers and fruit are probably doomed but will this kill off a
bunch of the butterflies?

Could we already be into the next generation of Orange and/or Clouded Sulphurs?
The size of what I've been seeing that past 2 days is noticeably larger than
what was around at the beginning of the season.

Today I saw a Black Swallowtail laying eggs on my fennel. This is much earlier
than the past 2 years. I assume the freeze will kill the eggs but I'm wondering
what has got them laying eggs so early.

Ken Childs
Henderson, TN
Chester County

http://www.finishflagfarms.com

The FAQ can be found by logging in at
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi/l=tn-butterflies

Please report any abuse or questions about this list to:
kjchilds@xxxxxxxxxx

Users can unsubscribe from this list by sending email to
tn-butterflies-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe'
in the Subject field.