[TN-Butterflies] Re: Question Mark behavior

  • From: Bart Jones <bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ken Childs <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>, <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 22:27:07 -0500

I have noticed this behaviour several times in the past, particularly in the
spring.  I'm not sure if they are females or males, but they seem to have a
"territory" and are quite busy patrolling it.  Friday while doing yardwork, I
noticed a QM or Comma flying high near the treetops.  It was doing the
flap-flap-flap-glide type of flight Ken described and it seemed particularly
attracted to a Loblolly Pine that it would flutter around but never land upon,
then it would just take off to the large Oak in the front yard, loop back to
the hackberries in my backside neighbor's yard then come back and flutter
around the pine.  This was repeated several times until I quite frankly lost
interest and needed to get back to work.

Bart Jones

Memphis, Shelby County

> Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:20:09 -0700
> From: kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [TN-Butterflies] Question Mark behavior
> To: TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> I was just out in my back pasture and noticed a QM land on a tall piece of
> dead grass not too far from where I was standing. When it took off, it
> started flying around in large circles and acted like it was patrolling an
> area roughly 100 feet in diameter and I happened to be right in the middle of
> that circle. It would fly around for a minute or so and then land and it kept
> doing this for the 10 minutes I was there watching. A couple of times it flew
> out of sight but it always returned. It flew relatively slow and it did a lot
> of flap, flap, glide style flying. There was some glare so I was shielding my
> eyes with my hand and at one point, it landed on that hand.
>
> Does anyone know if this is common behavior? Maybe a male trying to attract a
> mate? I've been buzzed a few times by male Red Admirals but I've never seen a
> QM acting like this.
>
> Ken Childs
> Henderson, TN
> Chester County
>
> http://www.finishflagfarms.com
>

> The FAQ can be found by logging in at
> //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi/l=tn-butterflies
>
> Please report any abuse or questions about this list to:
> kjchilds@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> Users can unsubscribe from this list by sending email to
> tn-butterflies-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe'
> in the Subject field.

Windows Live™ SkyDrive: Get 25 GB of free online storage.
http://windowslive.com/online/skydrive?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_skydrive_032009