[TN-Butterflies] Prickly Mallow

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 12:06:35 -0700 (PDT)

The plant is Prickly Mallow and for the short time the flowers are open, this
field is swarming with butterflies! I thought about trying to get a count today
but there was so much activity, it would have been impossible to do it by
myself. The majority were skippers of various species but Little Yellows,
Variegated Fritillaries and Cloudless Sulphurs were also taking part in the
feeding frenzy.

At 10:00, the flowers were closed. At noon, some were open and some were
closed.
At 2:00, most were closed.

Anyone feel like braving the heat for a couple of hours this weekend to get a
count? I have a pool although the last time I check it was 93. :-)

Ken Childs
Henderson, TN
Chester County

http://www.finishflagfarms.com