[TN-Butterflies] Re: Polygonia faunus, or ragged poser?

  • From: "Stephen Stedman" <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <s137@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "TN Butterflies" <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 07:11:55 -0500

Doug,

Looks good for Polygonia faunus to me; would be the first record in TN
in several years, maybe more than a decade.  This species was entirely
missed during the lep portion of the GSMNP ATBP, although it had been
fairly regularly found there prior to the 1980s, albeit never documented
via BAMONA.

The only TN county currently with a BAMONA record of Green Comma is,
interestingly, adjacent Van Buren County.

Congrats to David for finding and you for photographing this extremely
nice 'fly.

Steve Stedman

Cookeville (Putnam County)