[TN-Butterflies] Re: Phaon Crescent and fogfruit verbena

  • From: Bart Jones <bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 22:53:31 -0500

Hi everyone,

I like how Michael thinks, looking for those 'flys just outside our state but
tantalizingly close.  That's kind of how I was thinking when I found the Phaon
Crescents in Shelby County 4 years ago.  When I first got back into
butterflying 5 years ago I kind of made a list of those closeby species and
studied up on where they might be based on location and habitat.  I thought the
Phaon might be in Tennessee and Shelby County was a good place to look.  I knew
there were some places with large stands of fogfruit, so I went at the end of
the summer, and lo and behold, they were there; lots of them!  That's my one
and only state record, so of course it holds a special place in my heart.  So
what have I learned in the past several years of observing them?  For starters,
it seems that you need large colonies of fogfruit.  A few plants scattered
around a lake or wet area doesn't seem to be enough.  At Eagle Lake Wildlife
Management Area where I first found them, there is a damp field that is cut
periodically (right now they are cutting it too frequently) that is probably 2+
acres in size.  Of that area, I would estimate around 20% is covered in
fogfruit; same with the area around the headwaters of Piersol Lake in
Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park.  I also think they have only recently moved
into Shelby County and Tennessee, because Shelby County had been covered fairly
well before I started butterflying and it wasn't recorded.  I found them the
next year in Lauderdale County, then last year Allan Trently found them in
Tipton and Haywood.  They seem to appear by the end of June/beginning of July
and increase in numbers throughout the rest of the summer and fall.  I think
the peak numbers hit around the end of September.  I've seen them on every
Meeman-Shelby Forest count until this year when I didn't see any.  I went out
today and still didn't see any, but we are having a very poor year for Pearl
Crescents, so they may be down as well or just lagging behind.  That's kind of
what happened last year, although I did get a few on the count, they really
didn't bust out until the end of July.  I wouldn't be surprised if they are
found in the counties in the western half of West Tennessee, but I would be
really surprised to find them further east, but one never counts anything out.
My feeling is they are moving north and east, so if you don't find them now,
maybe in a few years you will with global warming and all.  Remember, most of
the fun is in the looking!  So look!

Bart Jones

Memphis, Shelby County

Note the photo of the Phaon Underside shows the fogfruit flower.  Also, I've
attached a photo with a Pearl and a Phaon Crescent for comparison.

From: mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TN-Butterflies] Re: Phaon Crescent and fogfruit verbena
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 20:23:43 -0500

Since I finally got a Pearl Crescent for the year, I thought I would look into
the other crescent in Tennessee, the rare (at least in Tennessee) Phaon
Crescent. The Phaon Crescent is known in Tennessee from only four counties, all
in West Tennessee--Haywood, Lauderdale, Shelby, and Tipton. This makes some
sense as the species is in the mid plains though on the western side of
Arkansas and Missouri, the two states that border Tennessee on the west.
Because of occurrences on the western side of the two adjoining states, records
further east in Tennessee might be range limited. However, there is a group of
records in Alabama and scattered in Mississippi so Tennessee should be in the
mix, at least at times. The key here, as in most cases, is the host plants,
fogfruit verbena; Lance Leaf Fogfruit, Phyla lanceolata, and mat grass, Lippia
nodiflora. These species may not be familiar to all, at least not to me. From
the map below, you can see that Lance Leaf Fogfruit occurs in 43 counties in
Tennessee though how common is unknown to me, but because of its occurrence the
Phaon Crescent could be present. According to BAMONA, the adults nectar from
flowers of Lippia and composites including shepherd's needle. So it seems to me
that this species should folds its wings in other Tennessee counties and now
may be the time. No record for this year yet, but  Bart Jones had one in Shelby
County in 2008 on July 6. Maybe Bart and any others who have had the species in
the state or elsewhere can share some insight as to where they saw it, pointers
for identification, and timing.
Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN

Tennessee Counties For Pearl Crescent

Lance Leaf Fogfruit (Phyla lanceolata)

Phaon Crescent (Phyciodes phaon)

Images of the plant, Lance Leaf Fogfruit,
http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/species/phla3.htm.
Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.