[TN-Butterflies] Perry County Butterflies- FOY and County Records- EP Elfin...

  • From: Allan Trently <ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Butterflies <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 10:08:45 -0400

I was working at Dry Branch State Natural Area which is in Lewis, Perry and
Hickman Counties.  This report is only from Perry County.

1. Erynnis species- Did not have the glassy white spots on the forewing so I
assume it was either Dreamy or Sleepy Duskywing.  Both would be Perry County
records and FOY records.  Oaks are plentiful on the property so I would lean
towards Sleepy whose larva use oaks.  I attached a photo.

2. Pearl crescent- a FOY for Perry County.  Photo taken but not attached.

3. American Lady- a FOY and County Record for Perry Co.  Photo taken and
attached.

4. Eastern tiger swallowtail- FOY for Perry Co.

5. Falcate orangetip- a FOY and and County Record for Perry Co.  As always with
this species at least for me this year, the beast would not land so I was not
able to obtain a photo.

6. Red admiral- FOY and County Record for Perry Co.  Photo taken and attached.

7. Eastern Pine Elfin- FOY and County Record for Perry Co.  Photo taken and
attached.

Other critters:

- Stream cruiser (Didymops transversa) dragonfly

- Blue-gray gnatcatcher

- Northern rough-winged swallow- possibly nesting in an old quarry on the
property

There are currently 31 species (including Erynnis species) recorded for Dry
Branch State Natural Area.  Much of the uplands of Dry Branch was clearcut and
planted in loblolly pine (the area was designated a natural area due to the
Xyris tennesseensis/Parnassia seeps in the stream bottoms which have not been
clearcut).  No shortleaf pines have been recorded for the property.  Eastern
red cedar is common.  Will eastern pine elfins accept a loblolly pine
plantation?  It appears to be the case though maybe the larva are using eastern
red cedar.

Allan Trently ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx

Jackson, Madison County, TN