[TN-Butterflies] Overton County, Sept. 23, 2012

  • From: "Doug Bruce" <s137@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN Butterflies" <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 12:33:25 -0400

Sunday, September 23, 2012
Overton County, TN
Harold Howell, Ed LeGrand, Steve Stedman, Doug Bruce

We spent Sunday looking for butterflies in the northern half of Overton County.
 Despite the cool temperature (high of ~67 F), we found 33 species, 11 of which
were new county records for BAMONA.  Assuming all of the photos turn out to be
identifiable, Overton's current documented total of 45 butterfly species will
be increased to 56.

Surprises for the day included a Great Purple Hairstreak and an Ocola Skipper.

Dainty Sulphurs were relatively common; I think we saw them at every stop.  The
Dainty Sulphur total for the day was a dozen or more, which is extremely
unusual for this part of the state, even this late in the season.  A certain
well-known Putnam County butterflier might be planning to take advantage of the
regionally historic numbers to finally document one within the Putnam County
limits today.

Species list for the day:

Checkered-Skipper sp.
Clouded Skipper (BAMONA)