[TN-Butterflies] Ocola Skipper Madison County

  • From: Allan Trently <ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Butterflies <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 10:15:58 -0400

I visited a site in Madison County from 3:15 to 4:15 on Sept 27, 09. The site
contains large fields that were once cattle pasture. The field is almost
entirely grass-covered (my guess is that the grass is a non-native fescue).
Also growing was goldenrod, ironweed, a white aster and mistflower.  The only
plant in flower I saw butterflies on was mistflower (Conoclinium coelestinum).
This plant grows in scattered clumps in the fields. This very common, native
plant appears to be a very important nector source for many butterflies.  I saw
and photographed two Ocola Skippers, a FOY for Madison Co.

Butterflies seen at the site:

1. Silver-spotted skipper- 1

2. a checkered skipper- 1

3. Clouded skipper- 11

4. Least skipper- 7 (the site contained a wetland)

5. Fiery skipper- 18

6. Sachem- 4

7. possibly crossline skipper

8. Zabolun skipper- 1

9. Yehl skipper- at least 2

10. Dun skipper- at least 1

11. Ocola skipper- 2, possibly 3

12. Pipevine swallowtail- 1

13. Orange sulphur- 1

14. Cloudless sulphur- 3

15. Little yellow- 2

16. Gray hairstreak- 1

17. Eastern tailed blue- 10

18. Variegated fritillary- 3

19. Pearl crescent- 4

20. Common buckeye- 5

21. Painted lady- 2

22. Satyr species- 1

Allan Trently ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx

Jackson, Madison County, TN

Microsoft brings you a new way to search the web.  Try  Bing™ now
http://www.bing.com?form=MFEHPG&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MFEHPG_Core_tagline_try
bing_1x1