[TN-Butterflies] Re: November update - Kentucky Manor (November 30, 2010)

  • From: "Steve Stedman" <birdsongteam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Butterflies" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 08:39:54 -0600

MessageRS = rare stray.

It has been known for some time that Clouded Skipper was inaccurately mapped in
most or all of the butterfly guides, in sofaras TN is concerned.  In part, this
inaccuracy devolved from a paucity of records at BAMONA when the guides were
being written (5 years ago there were probably fewer than 20 counties with
records of this species), and at the time of the writing of the guides, even
longer ago, the number of counties with documented records was even lower.  We
know a lot more now, but only because a lot of dedicated folks submitted
photo-documented records; we will continue to improve our understanding of the
state's lepfauna only if everyone contributes to the collective knowledge.

Steve Stedman
Cookeville, TN