[TN-Butterflies] NABA event in Florida

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 18:19:26 -0700 (PDT)

You're invited! Join us in south central Florida the end of September
(25th-27th) for a fantastic weekend of butterflying in rare habitat. Imagine
yourself surrounded by a sea of wildflowers and an array of butterflies in the
"old Florida" of the greater Everglades, Kissimmee River ecosystem, at the
Second Florida Regional NABA meeting near Lake Wales.

We'll stay at River Ranch Resort (one hour south of Orlando) by the Kissimmee
River and radiate from there in several directions for premiere butterfly
locales.  An optional pre-meeting field trip on Friday to an amazing butterfly
garden (in the shape of our state butterfly, the Zebra Heliconian) at a wild
animal rescue shelter and a trek through the lush palm and scrub habitats of
Highlands Hammock State Park whet our appetite for the Saturday and Sunday
haunts.

Weekend field trips, led by expert, fellow NABA members, include Kissimmee
Prairie Preserve State Park--an international biosphere site with probably the
darkest night sky in Florida--welcomes us with a vast, very rare, dry prairie
habitat, but also boasts wetter habitats which enrich our quest for a variety
of butterflies. Our destinations--Kissimmee Preserve, Bull Creek Wildlife
Management Area and Triple-N Ranch--all offer chances to see rarely-seen
butterflies, especially skippers.

We hope you can join us for this fall adventure, and get to know your fellow
NABA members.  See old friends and make new ones!

Download the Brochure:
http://www.naba.org/chapters/florida/NABAStateBrochure2009.pdf

Download the Registration Form:
http://www.naba.org/chapters/florida/MeetingRegForm2009.pdf

More details at: http://www.naba.org/chapters/florida/meeting.html

Email Lisa Lewis at lewis@xxxxxxxx for more information.

PS--To get a real taste of old Florida before you arrive, consider reading "A
Land Remembered" by Pulitzer-Prize winning author, Patrick Smith

The FAQ can be found by logging in at
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi/l=tn-butterflies

Please report any abuse or questions about this list to:
kjchilds@xxxxxxxxxx

Users can unsubscribe from this list by sending email to
tn-butterflies-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe'
in the Subject field.