[TN-Butterflies] Lower Hatchie Results

  • From: Bart Jones <bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 00:05:19 -0500

Here are the results from today's Lower Hatchie NABA Count.  For the second
year in a row we saw a Bronze Copper at the pond by the Lower Hatchie
Headquarters and we had 4 Dainty Sulphurs along Jack Rabbit Rd.  Although we
had 265 Hackberry Emperors, we saw no Tawny Emperors.  But most surprising was
the complete lack of Southern Dogfaces.  This has always been the most reliable
place in the state for Dogfaces and numbers are usually greater than 50, but
none were seen.  The roadside along the Sunk Lake SNA border was herbicided and
mowed and this may have had a severe impact as very few butterflies were found
here.  And we FINALLY had some Cloudless Sulphurs on a count.  This was the
first one for me this year, very odd!

Bart Jones
Memphis, Shelby Co.

Region 13
Appalachians (KY, TN, WV)
William Haley, Regional Editor
1. Lower Hatchie, TN. Yr. 7, 35.6525°, -89.7774°, center at jct. of Peters Rd.
and State Hwy. 87, 9 miles W of Henning, Lauderdale Co. See 2008 report for
habitats. Imminent threats to habitat: Roadside bordering Sunk Lake Natural
Area was herbicided and this area has always been one of the best sites within
the circle and was the main place where Southern Dogfaces are seen.  Not this
year.  No Southern Dogfaces were seen for the first time on this count. Habitat
changes since last year: Herbicide use and extensive mowing along roadsides,
plus all the open fields and around ponds were mowed at Lower Hatchie National
Wildlife Refuge. 26 July 2014; 0930-1630 hrs;  sun AM  76-100%, PM 76-100%;
81-93°F; wind 5-10 mi/hr. 7 observers  in 1 party. Total party-hours 7; total
party-miles on foot 3.  Observers:  S. Brown, W. Brown, H. Hetsel, Bart Jones
(2047 Higbee Ave., Memphis, TN, 38104; bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx), M. McMasters,
A. Trently, D. Ward.
    Pipevine Swallowtail 1, Zebra Sw. 10, E. Tiger Sw. 12, Spicebush Sw. 34,
Cabbage White 5, Orange Sulphur 5, Cloudless Su. 40, Little Yellow 6, Sleepy
Orange 1, Dainty Su. 4, 1Bronze Copper 1, E. Tailed-Blue 41, Am. Snout 83,
Variegated Fritillary 17, Gr. Spangled Fr. 1, Silvery Checkerspot 20, Pearl
Crescent 94, Question Mark 34, E. Comma 3, Red Admiral 12, Com. Buckeye 2,
Red-spotted Purple 15, Viceroy 40, Hackberry Emperor 265, Monarch 3,
Silver-spotted Skipper 22, N. Cloudywing 1, Horace's Duskywing 6, Com.
Checkered-Sk. 2, Com. Sootywing 1, Swarthy Sk. 1, Least Sk. 15, Fiery Sk. 20,
N. Broken-Dash 1, Lace-winged Roadside-Sk. 1. Unidentified: Swallowtail sp. 4,
Polygonia sp. 8, Grass-Skipper sp. 2, Duskywing sp. 1. Total 35 species, 834
individuals.  Field Notes: 1Rare in TN.  2nd year in a row for this count.