[TN-Butterflies] Re: Kentucky Manor (05-25-09) Davidson County

  • From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Butterflies" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 23:46:26 -0500

May 25, 2009. Kentucky Manor, 5211 Kentucky Avenue, Nashville, Davidson
County, TN
    360934N (36.15944) and 0865102W (-86.85055)

This was a six species (five identified) butterfly day for me at the Manor,
the most for one day for the season.

Question Mark. A summer form was attracted to my compost "bucket" that had
not made it to the compost pile. The compost was in rain water for a day and
it seems that the individual fed some in the liquid and on the compost. My
96-year old father called my attention to it just after I seated him at the
table for lunch. He has sharp eyes for his age.

Eastern Comma. This individual appeared early evening, taking some of the
last rays of the sun on the fence and finishing off the day on ripe
mulberries on the deck. Now, as best as I can determine, the fence digital
is this species due to the three spots in a row (four for Question Mark). ID
marks for the upperside between those two species would be appreciated.

Hackberry Emperor. This individual enjoyed the mulberries in the early
evening on the deck.

Little Wood-Satyr. A surprise. This individual was another early evening
dinner guest on the mulberries on the deck.

Cabbage White. Three individuals, at least one male and one female, were
present today. The favorite feeding plant for the past two days has been the
remaining blooms of the sage with the cat mint the overall favorite so far
for the species. Do they really know where they are going and where they
have been?

Medium-sized Yellow Butterfly. Some day this species will stop for a look. I
hope. These yellow guys just fly straight through the yard leaving me
guessing.

Note: In the email of May 22, 2009, the date on the label for the digitals
for Hackberry Emperor should read May 22, not May 20.

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN