[TN-Butterflies] Re: Jefferson County Butterflies

  • From: Harold Howell <howellh2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 18:26:53 -0400

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I believe that I should have stated why I thought the last three photos were
Northern Crescents.

The only reference that I have at this time is "Butterflies Through
Binoculars" by Jeffrey Glassberg.  The top wing pattern in my photo very
nearly duplicates the wing pattern shown on Plate 32, #6, Northern Crescent,
Male.  On the underside, the match is not nearly so good.  I can only cite
the wide dark patch on the hind wing and the marginal band on the hind wing
as looking more like the Northern than the Pearl.  My book states that it is
very difficult to impossible to tell the difference, and they might not even
be a separate species.  It is also a bad idea to base a tricky
identification on a single source.  That is why I wanted to see what other
people have to say.

Best regards,

Harold

On 7/7/09 8:46 PM, "Harold Howell" <howellh2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Today I visited the Jefferson County side of the area below Cherokee Dam.
> There were quite a good number of butterflies and skippers, but a limited
> number of species.  Attached are some that I photographed.  Some of these
> will be BAMONA for Jefferson County, and I will send those separately to
> Steve Steadman.
>
> Please pay attention to the three labeled Northern Crescent.  At first they
> look like Pearl Crescents, but closer examination indicates that they may be
> Northern Crescents.  I solicit your input since range maps indicate that
> they should not be here, and I am certainly no expert on the subject.  I
> would also ask all to look carefully at any Pearl Crescent type you
> encounter.  We might have an invasion!
>
> Lets go bushwhacking!
>
> Harold Howell
> Grainger County
> Rutledge, TN

The FAQ can be found by logging in at
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi/l=tn-butterflies

Please report any abuse or questions about this list to:
kjchilds@xxxxxxxxxx

Users can unsubscribe from this list by sending email to
tn-butterflies-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe'
in the Subject field.