[TN-Butterflies] Jackson Count Results

  • From: Bart Jones <bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 23:00:04 -0500

Hi Folks,
Here are the results from today's count in Jackson. It was a real scorcher,
but the great butterflies helped pull us through. We had several highlights,
first being the numbers of Gulf Fritillaries, 54, almost all of them occurring
at Pinson Mounds. We also hit the Pearly-eye trifecta with Northerns,
Southerns, and Creoles all sighted. We were surprised with an Ocola Skipper,
too, as this is a bit early for them here. 201 Pearl Crescents was nice to see
since this species has been a little down this year, heck, we were able to even
count one inside the Popeye's where we had lunch! The 48 species is the
highest for this count and the 809 individuals is the second highest total.
Great day!!!

Bart Jones
Memphis, Shelby Co.

Region 13
Appalachians (KY, TN, WV)
William Haley, Regional Editor
1. Jackson, TN. Yr. 9, 35.5513°, -88.7764°, center at jct. of Lesters Chapel
and Harts Bridge Rds., S of Jackson, Madison Co. See 2007 report for habitats.
Habitat changes since last year: Purple Coneflowers that line the road at the
entrance to Pinson Mounds State Park had been mowed and herbicided. 18 July
2015; 0900-1830 hrs; sun AM 76-100%, PM 76-100%; 86-96°F; wind 3-10 mi/hr. 4
observers in 1 party. Total party-hours 9.5; total party-miles on foot 5.
Observers: B. Ford, Bart Jones (2047 Higbee Avenue, Memphis, TN, 38104;
bjones7777@xxxxxxxxxxx), R. Light, A. Trently.
Pipevine Swallowtail 1, Black Sw. 7, E. Tiger Sw. 15, Spicebush Sw. 5,
Orange Sulphur 9, Cloudless Su. 31, Little Yellow 4, Sleepy Orange 1, Gray
Hairstreak 2, E. Tailed-Blue 56, Am. Snout 6, 1Gulf Fritillary 54, Variegated
Fr. 28, Gr. Spangled Fr. 6, Silvery Checkerspot 24, Pearl Crescent 201,
Question Mark 9, E. Comma 6, Am. Lady 2, Red Admiral 10, Com. Buckeye 31,
Red-spotted Purple 20, Viceroy 6, Hackberry Emperor 6, Tawny Em. 2, S.
Pearly-eye 3, N. Pe.-eye 7, Creole Pe.-eye 2, Carolina Satyr 2, Com. Wood-Nymph
1, Monarch 4, Silver-spotted Skipper 93, S. Cloudywing 1, N. Cl. 1, Horace's
Duskywing 5, Com. Checkered-Sk. 1, Com. Sootywing 2, Swarthy Sk. 3, Least Sk.
1, Fiery Sk. 26, Tawny-edged Sk. 1, Crossline Sk. 1, N. Broken-Dash 1, Little
Glassywing 6, Sachem 80, Dun Sk. 9, Lace-winged Roadside-Sk. 1, Ocola Sk. 1.
Unidentified: Sulphur sp. white form female 2, Dark Swallowtail sp. 2,
Brushfoot sp. 1, Polygonia sp. 3, Pearly-eye sp. 2, Grass-Skipper sp. 5. Total
48 species, 809 individuals. Immatures: Pipevine Sw. 9 caterpillars on
Aristolochia fimbriata; Question Mark 2 eggs on Slippery Elm leaf. Field
Notes: 1High number for this early in the season.