[TN-Butterflies] Re: Identification challenge

  • From: Stephen Stedman <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: naturetours@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 16:08:45 -0500

The hairstreak in the photo at David's flickr site might also be
considered a possible Hickory Hairstreak, a species that has been sought
in vain in TN for the past few years. Note in particular the lack of a
reddish cap on the blue "lunule" of the hindwing.  In Striped Hairstreak
this lunule is capped with red, but in Banded and Hickory Hairstreaks it
is not.

Hickory Hairstreak is considered a likely species to be added to the TN
butterfly list, probably from sites in the eastern part of the state,
possibly those at mid to high elevation.

Even very good photos of individuals falling into this group cannot
usually be identified with certainty; at least none so far from TN taken
have convinced any of the hairstreak "experts" that Hickory was what
they were reviewing.

Good butterfly counting, Steve Stedman

Cookeville, Putnam County