[TN-Butterflies] Re: ID Help

  • From: dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: howellh2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:49:45 -0400

Harold
Your fourth photo looks like a Silver-spotted Skipper seen from a confusing angle. The left hindwing is edge-on and therefore not visible. The light mark you see is on the underside of the left forewing, and is actually the tan marks that can be seen on the top of the forewing, but with light shining through them. The specimen is worn making the marks less brilliantly colored than the usual red-orange appearance they get when light shines through them. You can also see the uppermost tan marks on the top of the right forewing (which has a notch at the apex). Notice that they mirror the same marks on the left forewing, with the topmost spot narrower than the next spot below it. The shapes of the spots on the left forewing are slightly distorted by foreshortening due to the angle of the wing, as it is pointed somewhat toward the viewer.

I love working puzzles like this, but it shows one of the occasional pitfalls of photography as an aid to identification, namely, insufficient data from any single photo. Not a criticism, just a fact of life. Keep 'em coming. :-)

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN