[TN-Butterflies] Re: Hackberry Emperor and Cabbage Whites mating

  • From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Butterflies" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 22:50:36 -0500

May, 22, 2009. Kentucky Manor, 5211 Kentucky Avenue, Nashville, Davidson
County, TN
    360934N (36.15944) and 0865102W (-86.85055)

Hackberry Emperor (1). One photo shows the individual feeding on a piece of
banana in a rotting fruit offering. Randy Emmitt put out half a papaya and
the next day had 22 Red-spotted Purples. The Hackberry Emperor is the first
I have seen using the fruit. If you never done the fruit offering, be aware
that flies also are attracted.

Cabbage White (2). This species is seen almost daily in the yard, generally
two as that is the largest number I see at one time and recently the times I
have been able to sex the individuals, they have been females. I suspect
that there has been a second flight starting last week, as I had very worn
ones that have disappeared and fresh ones are now around. Obviously I do
have a male as the photo is a mating couple.

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN