[TN-Butterflies] Effects of cold weather on butterflies

  • From: "Bill Haley" <wgh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:15:12 -0500

Hello all;

I've often thought that if someone really wants to understand the
effects of weather on butterfly populations, it might be a very good
idea to keep a daily weather journal. Keep local information by all
means, but notes on the entire southeast would provide additional
insights. I'm not sure anyone has done this daily for a year, but it
might shed some light on how weather affects certain species.
Butterflies are tougher and more resilient than many people give them
credit for, however they can be affected by many types of weather.
Things such as cold temperatures, ice storms, snows, overly-abundant
rainfall (or the lack thereof), or extremely hot summer temperatures can
affect different life stages.

This would be a worthwhile project for someone on this list who has the
time and inclination to pursue it. Perhaps you'll have a theory next
year when X species isn't showing up on time or is less abundant than
usual.

Bill Haley

Chattanooga, TN