[TN-Butterflies] Re: Coffee Co. swarthy skipper

  • From: "David Spicer" <dspicer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx>, <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:04:43 -0400

Richard,

I don't think I've seen any replies to this although you may have gotten
some that didn't make it to the list. All of the Swarthy Skippers that I've
seen are much darker that this, more grey than orange. The "Butterflies of
the East Coast an Observer's Guide" by Ceck and Tudor (by the way, highly
recommended if you don't already have it) states "Plain dark brown above,
often blackish. A variable, bronzy-metallic sheen develops with wear."
Here's a link to a picture of one we found last summer in north Georgia.
http://www.pbase.com/dspicer/image/100062841

To me your picture looks like a somewhat worn Delaware Skipper.

Dave Spicer
Ooltewah, TN