[TN-Butterflies] Catoosa-Whitfield Co. butterfly count, Saturday, July 17

  • From: "Bill Haley" <wgh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 09:16:49 -0400

Hello all;

Just a reminder that we'll be conducting the 7th annual
Catoosa-Whitfield Co. butterfly count this Saturday, July 17. We'll meet
at 9:30am Eastern at the intersection of East Brainerd Road (take East
Brainerd Rd. East from I-75) and Ooltewah-Ringgold Rd. at a convenience
store on your right. We will then caravan to the count circle, which is
not far from the Tennessee state line. This count and the Lookout
Mountain, GA count were started several years ago after NABA made a plea
for some inland counts in Georgia. Prior to the formation of the Lookout
Mtn. count circle (this year was #11), all GA counts were on the coast.
Now there are several more inland GA counts in existence.

It'll probably be hot. Bring plenty to drink, snacks, $3 NABA fee,
sunblock, bug spray, appropriate dress for the weather, and be prepared
to wade into some weedy, overgrown fields. Most of all bring an
adventurous spirit and help us find some great butterflies! You do NOT
have to be a butterfly expert to help out. Extra pairs of eyes are
always welcome. Someone who didn't know much about butterflies spotted
one of our best finds last week. See you on Saturday!

Next count will be Saturday, July 31 in Stevenson, Alabama. 8th annual.
Started because there weren't any counts reported in Alabama. It is
still the only one! Surely there are some Tennessee butterfliers who
live close enough to Alabama to add some more counts?

Butterfly numbers and diversity are growing in late summer, so come join
the fun.

Bill Haley

President, Tennessee Valley NABA