[TN-Butterflies] Butterfly list: 3/15/09, Moccasin Bend, Hamilton Co., TN

  • From: "Bill Haley" <wgh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 08:34:20 -0400

Hello to all on the list;

I was supposed to lead a butterfly field trip into the Tennessee River
Gorge in Marion County on Sunday, March 15, but it didn't "fly" because
it was 100% cloudy and not yet 60 degrees. (Not at all promising
conditions for butterflies.) I was surprised when the sun came out a
little over an hour later. I decided to run over to Moccasin Bend, which
is only 5 minutes from the house, to see what might be flying. This is
always a good spot for Falcate Orangetips, and it didn't disappoint.
They were my first of the year. My list for Moccasin Bend Rd. and the
Blue Blazes Trail area is below. Not a huge amount of diversity, but
nice to see a few butterflies out.

Falcate Orangetip - 7

Orange Sulphur - 4

Clouded Sulphur - 3