[TN-Butterflies] Re: Bell's Roadside-Skipper update - Davidson County (July 14, 2009)

  • From: "Michael Lee Bierly" <mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Butterflies" <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 23:16:13 -0500

The Bell's Roadside-Skipper reappeared at 4:30 p.m. in the same patch of
yellow flowers where it was yesterday. I had looked for it off and on during
the day. According to BAMONA, the host plant is Indian Woodoats Grass
(Chasmanthium latifolia), one I was not familiar or at least I thought. When
I looked up the Latin name, I found that another common name is Northern Sea
Oats, a plant I acquired in April at the Perennial Plant Sale. I did not buy
it for anything special, just looking for an interesting grass. It is a
little hidden in the garden, but is three feet tall now with oats and
expanding slightly. Now if only this Bell's finds it and needs to lay eggs.
This same species also is the host plant for Linda's Roadside Skipper
(Amblyscirtes linda), a species that has been recorded in Tennessee only
once, Madison County, known according to BAMONA from only seven states, and
has a NatureServe Global Status of G2, "Imperiled globally because of rarity
(6 to 20 occurrences)..." I have attached additional images of the Bell's
from today.

Michael Lee Bierly, Nashville, Davidson County, TN