[TN-Butterflies] Banded Hairstreak for Hamilton Co.

  • From: schottbirds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: TN-Butterflies <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 03:50:00 +0000 (UTC)

Hamilton Co.
May 30, 2009

I took a brief walk around Reflection Riding today and found 3 Banded
Hairstreaks (photo of one), and 3 Mourning Cloaks which would not slow down.
The sunny log wall of the Squincy Bird Cabin attracted as many butterflies as
the blooming Virginia Sweetspire did the other day. On it were 4 freshly
hatched Hackberry Emperors, a Red Admiral, and a summer form of the Question
Mark. Later in the day on the Montlake segment of the Cumberland Trail, a
Mourning Cloak landed on a barred gate for a picture. We found a Silver-spotted
Skipper and Great Spangled Fritillaries, but no Golden-banded Skippers where
there had been so many ten days earlier. Timing is everything.

Photo of Banded Hairstreak:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36709258@N07/3579799101/in/set-72157617353771956/

Photo of Mourning Cloak:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/36709258@N07/3579799861/in/set-72157617353771956/