[TN-Butterflies] BAMONA - Union County

  • From: "Doug Bruce" <s137@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN Butterflies" <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 18:44:56 -0400

Late yesterday afternoon (Friday, 13 August 2010) I took advantage of the nice
weather to go hiking at Big Ridge State Park, in Union County.

I photographed three BAMONA candidates for Union County:

1. Little Yellow.  I saw a total of two individuals: one yellow and one
whitish. The whitish one was noticeably larger.  They were in an open, weedy
area near a boat ramp.  (I considered calling for help to count them all, since
this is the most Little Yellows that I have ever seen on a single trip.)  It
seems like the state is gradually filling up with Little Yellow sightings from
west to east, and from south to north.  I think this pair of sightings
represents the northeast-most state limit for 2010, so far.
http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae204/DougLepidoptera/Union_Co/BFLYCSUlittleyellowBigRidgeStateParkUnionCoTN13Aug10DBruce_yellow.jpg
http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae204/DougLepidoptera/Union_Co/BFLYCSUlittleyellowBigRidgeStateParkUnionCoTN13Aug10DBruce_white.jpg

2. Cloudless Sulphur.  I found a mated pair.
http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae204/DougLepidoptera/Union_Co/BFLYCSUcloudlesssulphurBigRidgeStateParkUnionCoTN13Aug10DBruce.jpg

3. Delaware Skipper.  I was not able to photograph the dorsal side, so this one
might not count.
http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae204/DougLepidoptera/Union_Co/BFLYAGRdelawareskipperBigRidgeStateParkUnionCoTN13Aug10DBruce.jpg

Doug Bruce
Oak Ridge