[TN-Bird] Re: wintering birds and our predator imbalance

  • From: KD Edwards <sparverius@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Viclcsw@xxxxxxx" <Viclcsw@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 21:10:33 -0400

The big problem this year at our place in west Knoxville is the nonexistent
mast crop.  We have a lot of hickories and oaks, and I have not been able to
find a single hickory nut or acorn on any of them.  I don't recall a hard
freeze this spring while they were in bloom, but something seems to have really
affected mast production.  Maybe the hail storm knocked them all off the trees.
 Most of the fruit and berry crops look good... until the squirrels got to
them.

The squirrels here are going to have a hard winter.  Doesn't help them that I
redid our feeder set up this summer to better squirrel-proof it.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

Sent from my iPhone