[TN-Bird] west Knox Co. Snow Goose and eagle

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 14:28:17 -0500

On my way to Melton Hill Park in west Knox County this morning, just before
11:30, I stopped to check out some geese in a flooded field and found one Snow
Goose (white adult) in with about 20 Canada Geese.  The Canadas were on the
muddy pond and grazing in the field; the snow goose was on land, grazing.  The
field was on the right (north?) side of Couch Mill Road just before it makes a
sharp left at its intersection with Williams Bend Rd.  Two hours later the
"pond" was empty, no geese in sight.
There were no waterfowl at the park but as I was loading my car to leave, an
immature Bald Eagle flew fairly low right over the parking lot, giving me a
nice close-up look.  It continued over the water and landed in the trees on the
side of Bull Bluff.
Carole GobertKnoxville