[TN-Bird] waxwings and Great Blue Heron

  • From: everson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 08:14:44 -0500

This weekend Charlie Muise and I were treated to two great bird displays.  On
sunday while driving through Maryville (Blount Co) we saw a flock of 250 or so
CEDAR WAXWINGS all trying to light on a single holly tree on the side of the
building.  Later in the day the berries were all gone from the top 1/4 of the
tree.

On Sunday, we stopped at Loudon Dam (Loudon Co) on the way home from a KTOS
trip.  We saw several GREAT BLUE HERONS landing in the water (as in swimming),
catch a rather large fish and then take off in flight.  One GBH then proceeded
to swallow the fish while flying rather than let the RING BILLED GULL, which
was mobbing it, get the fish.  Neither of us had ever seen GBH catch fish like
that before.

Tracey Everson
Blount County