[TN-Bird] turkeys

  • From: "John Sanders" <sand5055@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tnbird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:33:27 -0600

Robbie, A few years ago our turkey population got quite high. My neighbor and I
counted 185 crossing the end of my driveway to roost in their habitual roost.At
roost they sat in trees which hung out over the county road. The roost area
paralleled the road for several hundred yards. Tourist began to come by at dusk
to video the spectacle.TWRA eventually got wind of the situation and began
luring the turkeys and eventually captured a third of that number and relocated
them to another county. Our numbers have stayed at a more manageable level
since then. I am still likely to come upon them  or see them out my window on
even given day. I leave the door to my greenhouse open on warm days and have
surprised them inside. Turkey numbers can literally explode as you seem to have
predicted at your place. Go predators!
John Sanders
Marshall County ,Tn.(south central)