[TN-Bird] " this is not a bird matter "

  • From: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1-A TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 19:23:51 -0400

All TN-Birders:

It was most unfortunate that the Cookville police officer situation
was posted to TN-Birds.  If we approve of posting whatever
causes us anger or rage, even when it has noting to do with
birds or birding, we have done this list an injustice.

We can little afford to stand silently on the sidelines of TN-Birds
and allow this list to drift to a forum about anything and everything.
It is hard enough for many subscribers to stomach the
Bluebird wildlife tag issue when it directly affects birds and
birdings.

These simple points:

        (1)  Stating that the subscriber knows that a post is
"is not a bird matter"  does not excuse posting something
that is not appropriate for TN-Birds.

        (2)  Stating that the subscriber knows that a post
"is not a bird matter" does not prevent the moderation of this
list from confronting the subscriber.

        (3)   Asking "did you see the tv news" of this account
was not a responsible question.  The poster did not
actually, need to know who saw it nor actually interested
in who saw the tv news.

        (4)  Calling people  "stupid" or "jerks" does not serve
the best interest of TN-Birders even if that is a term acceptable
to many people who actually  know the details.

        (5)  Advocating that people "stay away from Cookeville or
 you might be his next victim" is an expression of anger that
does not serve TN-Birders..

        (6)  Posting this under the irresponsible heading of
replying to the Bristol Christmas Bird Count message is
a misleading post to TN-Birds and our subscribers.

Disciplinary action has been taken and this subscriber
will no longer be allowed to post to TN-Birds.

Let's go birding.....

Wallace Coffey
Owner
TN-Birds