[TN-Bird] this afternoon

  • From: "Ruth Luckado" <luck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 21:56:20 -0600

I spent the afternoon at the UT tree farm and Franklin Co around Wood's
Reservoir---obviously, I should have been at Camp Bark Barrens, Normandy and
Bedford Lakes---heard the Sandhill Cranes calling several times and saw a flock
flying in the distance, but never found them in the fields.  One special
sighting was 150+ Black Vultures on a high te nsion tower---numerous winter
birds, hawks etc.

The sad sighting of the afternoon was the acres of stacks and stacks of trees
and shrubs where the land has been cleared for planting.  I had never seen
cotton fields there before, but there are large ones there now. The
deforestation was tremendous---tomorrow to the sod farm and Bedford Lake.

Thanks to you who came over this way and posted your findings for me.

Ruth Luckado
Tullahoma, Tn