[TN-Bird] tardy Blount and Knox notes

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 07:27:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi folks,

I've been a bit too busy to play on the internet much, but here are
some observations from the last week.

Thursday, Sept 22 I lead a group of students from Knoxville on a
2-mile round-trip hike in Great Smoky Mountains National Park (Blount
County).  I observed a very large number of thrushes - at least 100
of them!  I could only ID a handful, since I had no optics and was
leading a program.  But most appeared to be Swainson's.  One was
likely a Gray-cheeked or Bicknell's, but I'm not sure.  I did not see
or hear any Wood or Hermit.

On both Thursday and Friday, while driving to and from work (Blount
County, near Walland) I observed several medium flocks of small ducks
which I believed to all be Blue-winged Teal.  Each day I saw upwards
of 70-80 birds.  I haven't the foggiest idea where they came from or
went to.

Yesterday, Sunday the 25th, I participated for just 4 hours in the
Knox County fall count.  I did not have any sightings of remarkable
species.  In fact, the only neotropical migrants I had were:
1 first-year Rose-breasted Grosbeak
2 Scarlett Tanagers (both all yellow with black wings)
1 Ruby-throated Hummingbird
1 White-eyed Vireo

The only warbler I had all day was a lone Pine.

Most intersting to me was a total of 15 Brown Thrashers - 6 in one
spot along the French Broad River, and the "south bank of Seven
Islands Wildlife Refuge" canoe launch.

On the way home I stopped at the watering holes in north west Blount
County. A stop at the Tennessee River at Topside road was wasted -
water is way too high.  Phelps Dairy Farm Pond had 14 Killdeer and no
other shorebirds.  The other ponds in that area gave similar results.
 Scenic Point revealed no terns, gulls, eagles or early waterfowl.

But the Patriots and Red Sox both won, so the day wasn't ALL bad...
:-)

Private message to Don Holt:  I hope the hotel you chose for the
conference carries channels for the Red-Sox/Yankees games this
weekend!  that WAS your top priority, right?

Charlie Muise, Naturalist in
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"To the dull mind all nature is leaden.  To the illuminated mind
the whole world sparkles with light."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson