[TN-Bird] Re: shrike already listed as in need of management; is this enough?

  • From: JGIOCOMO@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:51:56 EST

Steve, and others,

Forgive me stepping in here, but I think Steve is pointing out the reason for
the Coordinated Bird Monitoring plan for Tennessee that Charlie mentioned.
Deciding where the (always) limited conservation resources should be spent is a
complicated and difficult task.

For example, there are large scale and small scale issues to consider.
While I agree Loggerhead Shrike populations are not doing well in Tennessee and
in
many other parts of their range, we need to consider what Tennessee
contributes to the overall range of the species.  Tennessee is not in the heart
of the
Loggerhead Shrike range.  At the small scale, allowing shrubs to take over
grassland areas could provide some habitat for Loggerhead Shrikes, but it would
make the grassland unsuitable for other species like Grasshopper Sparrows.
These are just two of the examples of information needed to prioritize species
within a state.

So maybe there is a "better use" for such funds, but we need to figure out
what are the most urgent needs and where the limited resources can help the
most.

Another point, researchers are not the only people who can contribute to
monitoring needs.  A statewide survey of early successional habitats (e.g.,
grasslands, shrubby areas...) during the breeding could be designed where
volunteers
(TOS members) go out to their local birding spots and use (simple)
standardized protocols (area search, line transects, point counts) to determine
abundance and distribution, as Steve suggested with the roadside surveys
(transects).
This could be designed so there would be minimal need for funding (data forms
distributed and collected through e-mail).  Some minimal vegetation
measurements could be collected to accompany the bird data and make the
information
even more valuable.  The key would be to standardize protocols so everyone is
doing the same thing and different efforts can be compared.

There are many examples of these kinds of "citizen science projects" making
important contributions to the general conservation of bird species.  If there
is any interest, maybe a "pilot project" could be designed to get birders to
help TWRA, Mike Roedel, and Charlie figure out what methods might be useful for
monitoring birds at the state level.  Then we can really see if "in need of
management" is enough for many of these declining species.

The best thing I can suggest right now is support the efforts of TWRA, Mike
Rodel, and Charlie with the Coordinated Bird Monitoring plan for Tennessee, and
try to figure out ways to contribute to the monitoring of all bird species
(as a means for protecting the whole environment for current uses and future
generations).

Let's go bird-MONITORING!

Jim Giocomo
Knoxville, TN