[tn-bird] rogo in putnam/jackson counties

  • From: Steve Stedman <SSTEDMAN@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 15:26:08 -0500 (CDT)

        I just now returned from a post-lunch jaunt up to
Liberty Church Rd., Putnam/Jackson County line, where
John and Evelyn Stites live; they called just before
lunch to say they had a white goose staying with some
local Canadas.  When I arrived at the pond where the
white goose was, I snapped a couple of distant photos
just in case the birds flew; then I looked with
binoculars to see what I could see--small white goose
with black in primaries.  Then I set up the Questar
and took a look; somehow the bird had gotten behind a
Canada and its head was blocked to me for about a
minute as I scanned for field marks.  When the head
finally popped into view, I nearly fell over; it was
a ROSS'S GOOSE with no grinning patch typical of
Snow Goose and a bluish base to the small stubby bill.
A couple of minutes later something scared the birds,
and they all took off. I was unable to relocate them
before having to return from lunch.

        This is the second record of Ross's Goose for
Putnam County and probably the first for Jackson County.
It is late, but far from the latest record for the state.
The photos I took do not show any details of the head
of the bird, but they do show its size in direct comparison
to a nearby Canada Goose.

        If you want to look for this bird, take Gainesboro
Grade northwest from Cookeville (by going left on 12th
St. off of Willow Ave. at the TTU Eblen Center); go about
five miles to Liberty Church Rd. on right (you have to
go right 20 feet on another road and then go left on
Liberty Church; can't recall name of the first road;
sorry). Take Liberty Church about a half mile to a
pond on the right just past the top of a small hill.
If the birds are not in this pond, continue a quarter
mile or so and look at pond on right in some trees.
If still no luck, start running roads and looking at
all ponds you can find, as well as all large open
fields.

        The ROGO has been around for "2-3 days"
according to John Stites, so it may stay awhile longer.

Good birding,

Steve Stedman
Cookeville, TN